“The highest as the lowest form of criticism is a mode of autobiography” – Preface to The Picture of Dorian Gray
The plan is to write about every Pulp song, in as correct an order as is possible.
When I started the project I wasn’t at all sure what it would turn into. As I write this (Feb 2013) things seem much clearer, and while I’m still not sure I can define what this is, I can say what it isn’t.
1. I am not a trained musician, so writing about the songs from a technical viewpoint is out (though I do try to read up on the subject a little.)
2. I was also not there at the time, so the social history (we start in 1978) I can add is secondhand and usually from secondary sources.
3. The history of the band themselves is more like it, though this has been done already, and there’s little I can add.
4. I will try not to write too much about myself, though gut reactions are often the best jumping-off point, and if this music didn’t mean something to me personally, I wouldn’t be writing about it.
5. Pulp are my favourite band (albeit tied with two others) but I’m not going to be continually praising everything they’ve ever done. There are plenty of songs I don’t really care for, and a few I genuinely can’t stand.
6. My views will differ from yours at some point, and I’m interested to find out how and why. If you feel I’ve misrepresented a song, or not covered something, and you can spare the time, please feel free to leave a comment. Quite often looking at something too closely makes you fail to see something with proper perspective.
Feedback about the site in general can be left in the comments box here – and if for some reason you want to read more from me, my personal blog is here —> http://haonowshaokao.com